Tuesday, April 22, 2014

When in a hard time read the owner's manual? Not so sure!

I've heard people, and maybe you have too, speak of the Bible as being man's owner manual. If you want to find out how man works and what to do to fix problems, just read the manual. And so when in a hard time, read the manual.

Although I understand the analogy, I'm not sure I agree with it. Why? Because that means that the Bible is all about us! It means that we read it to discover who WE are.


No, I think it is more appropriate to view the Bible as an autobiography, written by God and about God. It means that when we read it, we do so to discover who God is and in doing so He reveals Himself. His desire is that we respond to the truth of who He is and what He has done and when we do He transforms us!  It's not what we do that changes us, it is what He has done and continues to do that changes us (Phil 1:16)!  That's what will sustain us in hard times!

No comments:

Post a Comment